I have been known to go through bouts of insomnia, some of which have lasted weeks on end until my body overtakes my mind and takes back control. Have you ever allowed an overactive imagination or an endless to-do list to absorb your thoughts and steal your sleep??
During holiday times our sleep is often attacked…(stress, party indulgences of alcohol and overeating, and simply too much to fit into too little time). But it is exactly the opposite of what our body really needs. Taking care of our bodies is of utmost importance. If we ignore our bodies they will fight back with headaches, colds, and more!
Dr. Mark Stibich, author of Top 10 Health Benefits of a Good Night’s Sleep, has me mildly freaked out. Apparently my sleep deprivation increases my chances of disease, my diet will be less effective, and my memory will be even worse than usual…among other things. Oh my!
Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care
The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.
~William Shakespeare, Macbeth
What do you have to do to make sure your body is there to support you when you need it??
- Focus on eating nutritious meals. (even if you plan on indulging at a party- eat an apple and some nuts before you leave so you don’t overdo it)
- Limit alcohol consumption and make sure to drink lots of water if you do have one or two.
- Prioritize your to-do list. Not everything needs to get done.
- Laughter IS the best medicine. Make sure to include a healthy dose of fun in your activities. It will ease you, body and spirit!
- SLEEP! (tonight I’m taking my own advice and having a cup of chamomile tea at 9pm then off to bed I go!)
Action Step: Wisely look at what you are doing to care for your body. Make sure to add exercise, water, sleep, and anything else you feel is important for optimal health…to your daily habits. Sweet dreams!
Want more info? Go to http://www.fireinfive.com for insights, products, and free inspiration!