Short, sweet, and to the point…. Let’s make Thanksgiving Rock!
Poor little holiday gets no credit, no recognition, no respect. Stuffed between the more popular Halloween and Christmas (read all December holidays please), Thanksgiving is forgotten in marketing, media, and the masses.
And yet… on a personal level it is a tremendous holiday filled with a wide range of emotional intensity.
- Excitement of a day to reconnect with family and friends.
- Trepidation of same.
- Stress that the house is clean, the food is perfect, and everyone gets along.
- Inevitability of things not being perfect and sheer long shot of everyone getting along.
- Exhaustion and inability to BE in the moment.
- Nagging voice in the back of your head that the true meaning is gratitude and contribution.
- Delight when you realize you have everything within you to focus on what’s important.
If you are one of the innumerable people that struggle with Thanksgiving and want to make this year different here are some tips to help you through the day:
- Know that the house doesn’t actually have to be perfect. Your friends and family will love you anyway.
- Since you have to get up early to put the turkey in the oven use the quiet time to sit with a cup of tea and reflect on your many blessings.
- As the day goes on make sure to talk to yourself in an empowering way. If it’s rough…remind yourself it’s almost over. If it’s fabulous remind yourself to revel in the moment.
Action Step: Simply recognize that you get to choose. Don’t give away your power to choose your emotions and attitude. Be as YOU wish to be. And most importantly choose one thing you can do for those less fortunate than you. Nothing will change your state faster.